Higher Education System
Strengthening Activity (HESSA)
Duty Station: Utah
Position Title: Senior Instructional Designer
Duty Station: Utah
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Senior Instructional Designer working in support of a USAID grant to deliver high- quality online curriculum support for higher education faculty and leadership. The successful candidate will be working to support instructors in Utah, Alabama, and Pakistan. The position requires a person who can think creatively and have the ability to apply research-based learning theories including needs and task analysis, pedagogical theory, assessment strategies, and innovate using best practices for the development of university-level online courses.
The ability to collaborate and consult with subject-matter experts on the effective use of learning strategies, web-based resources, multimedia technologies, and instructional applications and systems to improve teaching and learning is essential to this position. The candidate must be able to maintain a constant focus on usability and accessibility requirements. Additionally, a successful candidate must possess strong writing skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to deal with multiple constituencies in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-based work environment.The value of being an employee at the University of Utah goes far beyond your base salary, so we encourage you to carefully consider and compare our total package offer. This package includes a variety of excellent employee benefits, including health care coverage, retirement plans, and paid leave time as well as other valuable benefits, services, and programs such as tuition reduction. One example is the U’s retirement benefits which amount to a 14.2% contribution in addition to your annual salary.
You may view the U’s total compensation estimator to calculate the approximate value of your total compensation at www.hr.utah.edu/comp/totalcomp.php. If you have any questions on how to use the estimator tool, please contact Human Resources at 801-581-7447.This is a grant funded position that is currently funded through August 2025.
- Consults with subject matter experts on the best practices for instructional methods of course content.
- Design and develop courses and curriculum in coordination with subject matter experts.
- Write scripts for one video and audio content.
- Create learning experiences and environments.
- Manage course development process in coordination with multiple team members to meet course launch deadlines.
- Create and maintain cooperative working relationships with all entities involved in the development process.
- Develop evaluation techniques to measure the effectiveness of course content, materials, and the overall learning experience.
- Refine online content based on results of evaluations.
- Provides user support to instructors for class delivery systems and associated Web applications.
- Communicates efficiently with technical groups when errors or malfunctions are noticed and contributes to the resolution of the errors or malfunctions.
- Manages online learning communities, including facilitation of discussion and collaboration via social media.
- Develops knowledge base and training materials for faculty, staff, and students; trains instructors, students and employees in using learning technologies.
- Keeps current on best practices in instructional design.
- Performs quality assurance reviews.
Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalency with at least 5 years of experience in the field. Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Experience with Canvas and Kaltura
- Experience writing tutorial and support documentation
- Experience with Web-based content management systems